Oct 22, 2017
All College of Arts and Sciences bachelor of science candidates must complete the following courses and credits and meet the following requirements:
Critical Writing and Reading: 6 credits
Literature: 6 credits
Literature in English, literature in a foreign language, or foreign literature in translation. The Departments of English, Foreign Literature and Languages, and Portuguese shall specify which courses satisfy this requirement.
Humanities/Social Sciences: 18 credits
These credits are to be taken from the areas of Humanities and Social Sciences listed below, with a minimum of six credits from Humanities and six from Social Sciences. The credits may not be taken in a student’s major field.
- Art History
(excluding applied courses)
- Foreign Language
- Policy Studies
- Political Science
- Sociology/Anthropology/Crime and Justice Studies
- Women’s Studies (Unless course is cross-listed with a humanities department course, in which case it may count towards the humanities requirement, or cross-listed with a literature course, in which case it may count towards the literature requirement).
Department Requirements and Free Electives
- Every student must complete at least thirty semester credits of work in the major field. For details see the sections under the major programs.
- A sufficient number of courses must be elected so that the earned credits total a minimum of 120. Certain majors require more than 120 credits.
- At least 30 credits must be in courses numbered 300 or higher.
A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 out of a possible 4.00 is required of all students. A grade point average of at least 2.00 is also required in courses in the major field. Individual departments may establish higher quality requirements.