2016-2017 UMass Dartmouth Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Master of Science in Healthcare Management
The curriculum develops the operational and behavioral skills necessary for transforming the health care workplace into an efficient, effective, error-free, and empowered organization. The MSHM curriculum consists of a total of 30 credit hours, with core courses focusing on two areas:
• management of costs, quality, and error reduction
• development of leadership, motivation and collaborative skills
Entrance to the Program
Candidates must submit the required application materials and fee to the Office of Graduate Studies. Applications are reviewed and judged on the following criteria:
1. Undergraduate degree: Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended.
2. GMAT exam or equivalent: The GMAT requirement for graduate program admission at UMass Dartmouth may be waived under certain conditions. For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Studies, and see the program webpage at: http://www.umassd.edu/charlton/programs/graduate/mshealthcaremanagement/
3. Two letters of recommendation, preferably one from a faculty member and one from an employer.
4. A personal statement (minimum 300 words) explaining the applicant’s career goals and motivation for the degree.
5. Current Resume.
6. Candidates whose Bachelor’s degree was not earned in an approved English language country must submit either the TOEFL exam (minimum score of 72 internet-based or 533 paper-based) or IELTS exam (minimum band score of 6.0).
The MSHM curriculum consists of a total of 30 credit hours: 8 required courses, and 2 elective courses or a Master’s Project or Master’s Thesis.