The MSA curriculum includes both core courses and elective courses in accounting and business. It serves students with prior accounting degrees or non-accounting degrees. MSA candidates must complete 30-45 credits of course work depending on the student’s background.
Entrance to the Program
Candidates must submit the required application materials and fee to the Office of Graduate Studies. Applications are reviewed and judged on the following criteria:
1. Undergraduate degree: Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended.
2. GMAT exam or equivalent: The GMAT requirement for graduate program admission at UMass Dartmouth may be waived under certain conditions. For more information, contact the Office of Graduate Studies and see the program webpage at:
3. Two letters of recommendation, preferably one from a faculty member and one from an employer.
4. A personal statement (minimum 300 words) explaining the applicant’s career goals and motivation for the degree.
5. Current Resume.
6. Candidates whose Bachelor’s degree was not earned in an approved English language country must submit either the TOEFL exam (minimum score of 72 internet-based or 533 paper-based) or IELTS exam (minimum band score of 6.0).
Program requirements vary, depending on whether the candidate begins with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, a business degree, or a degree in a non-business field. With a bachelor’s in accounting, students take 7 required courses and 3 electives. With a bachelor’s in business, students take 10 required courses and 1 elective. With a bachelor’s in a non-business field, students take 14 required courses and 1 elective.
For detailed curriculum outlines, see the MSA fact sheet at http://www.umassd.edu/charlton/programs/graduate/msaccounting/