Jun 15, 2024  
2020-2021 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Admission to the University

Phone: 508.999.8605

Admissions criteria

UMass Dartmouth complies with the admissions standards established by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education. These standards take into account the program of study, level of course work taken, and standardized test results for each applicant. In addition, UMass Dartmouth may consider an applicant’s personal statement, placing value on experiences that develop qualities of leadership, responsibility, community service, and creativity.

Students are accepted into specific majors and programs of study by using both general standards to evaluate an applicant’s ability to do university work and specific standards for potential in major departments or programs.

Strong emphasis is placed on college prep courses taken, the level of those courses and the grades received.

Standardized test results

Applicants to UMass Dartmouth should request their SAT or ACT official results be sent to the Admissions Office. The UMass Dartmouth College Board code is 3786.

SAT and/or ACT scores recorded on an official high school transcript will also be accepted.

Although UMass Dartmouth does not require the College Board SAT II results, applicants may submit them. These tests, especially in the sciences, can be a valuable source of information.

Applicants who have been out of high school for more than three years, or who have earned at least 24 transferable college-level credits, are exempt from the SAT/ACT requirement. (See transfer requirements for more information).

If you have taken Advanced Placement (AP) courses, please request that your examination results be sent to the Registrar’s Office at UMass Dartmouth.  Course credit may be awarded for AP exams scoring a 3 or above. Please see specific course equivalencies on the Registrar’s website at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

International applicants, specifically those whose first language is not English, are required to submit the official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless they have attended a school for at least one year in which the language of instruction is English. The required results of the English language proficiency examinations are as follows:

TOEFL iBT minimum score of 79  

IELTS composite minimum score of 6.5

For additional information regarding International applicant requirements, please visit the International Admissions website or email a counselor at international@umassd.edu

Applicants who completed a GED or HiSET must submit a copy of the GED/HiSET certificate and score report from the administering state in addition to any incomplete official high-school transcript

Admissions options, deadlines, & communications

UMass Dartmouth provides several application options. Early Action admission is available to students who apply and submit all required materials by November 15. Notification for Early Action applicants is in early-mid December. Regular Decision applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, which means that a decision will be made as soon as possible once we receive your completed application and required supporting materials. For priority consideration, all applicants are urged to apply by March 1 for fall admission.

Note: Programs such as Nursing, Biology, and Engineering are competitive. Applications for these majors are encouraged by February 1.

Application for spring admission (the semester beginning in January) should be submitted by mid-December.

Applicants will receive an email from Admissions confirming receipt of their application. This email will also provide log-in credentials for the Admissions Applicant Portal which will allow applicants to review the status of their submitted application.

Admissions decisions will not be made until all required information has been submitted. Admissions decisions are generally made within a few weeks after all application materials are received. If additional information and/or credentials are required to make a decision, applicants will be notified. 

Defining freshman and transfer applicants

Applicants who have earned or will earn secondary school or equivalency diplomas and who have never attended a degree-granting post-secondary educational institution (excluding dual enrollment or similar programs) are considered for first-year freshman admission.

Applicants who have attended degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions (including UMass Dartmouth as a special student or through the Online & Continuing Education) are considered for transfer admission. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts for ALL post-secondary institutions attended.

Application fee waivers

If the application fee presents a financial hardship, students may complete and submit the College Board application fee waiver form, with a high school counselor’s signature or other waivers. See the Admissions web site for a list of acceptable waivers.

Deposits for enrollment and housing

Once accepted, applicants must inform the Admissions Office of their intent to enroll by paying an enrollment deposit of $200. The deposit should be sent as soon as possible and no later than May 1. This deposit reserves an applicant’s place in the major of his/her choice.

Housing may be limited, so upon acceptance the housing reserve of $200 should be submitted as soon as possible and no later than May 1.

Enrollment deposits are credited to the student’s first semester balance. Housing reserve deposit is applied to a seperate housing bill.

Computer requirements

Some majors in the College of Visual and Performing Arts and students in the Charlton College of Business have specific computer recommendations. More information can be accessed at: www.umassd.edu/cits/

Social Security Number

Applicants are highly encouraged to provide a social security number when applying to UMass Dartmouth (with the exception of international students). However, a social security number is required when applying for financial aid. Federal law requires applicants to provide an SSN on your federal forms (i.e the FAFSA) to be considered for aid. The university is committed to protecting students’ privacy including personal information such as a social security number. For that reason, the university will never use a social security number on any documents or transactions. Each applicant will be issued a student identification number for use in campus transactions. 

Credit by Exam and Other Types of Credit

Applicants have opportunities for academic credit in addition to that provided by the transfer of credits from other institutions of higher learning. Students may earn up to 30 credits through credit by exam.

AP examinations. The university awards advanced placement and/or college credit for AP examination scores to students who complete college-level studies while still in secondary school, through the Advanced Placement program of the College Board. We accept scores of 3 or higher (with one exception: Psychology requires a 4 or 5) in most AP fields. Specific AP tests and corresponding UMass Dartmouth course equivalencies are available at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

CLEP credit. The equivalency of CLEP examinations to this university’s courses are determined by the department that teaches that subject matter. CLEP credits may not be used to duplicate or replace credits for coursework taken here or elsewhere.  We advise current students to consult the equivalency tables and their advisor before deciding to take CLEP tests.

CLEP credits are defined as transfer credits and will not be reflected in an individual’s grade point average. No more than 30 credits earned by CLEP Examination may be used to satisfy degree requirements. 

Two types of CLEP examinations are offered:

  • Subject Examinations: One semester’s course credits (usually 3) or two semesters’ course credits (usually 6) may be awarded for a score at or above 50, as reported on the CLEP score report. Such credits are generally used to satisfy university distribution requirements or may be used as elective credits. We do not accept all CLEP Subject Examinations for credit.
  • General Examinations: Credit is not awarded at UMass Dartmouth for the CLEP General Examinations.

Specific CLEP tests and corresponding UMass Dartmouth course equivalencies may be found at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth recognizes the IB Diploma Program and awards special consideration for students presenting IB credentials on an individual basis.  Students who complete the IB Diploma Program and the IB examination(s) are eligible to receive credit and advanced placement standing.   Diplomas should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency, as well as a copy of the exam certificate with exam scores.  Students may earn transfer credit for Higher Level exams in which they score between 4-7.  Depending on the subject, students may earn between 6-8 credits per exam.  The area of general education and number of credits will be determined by the courses taken. The awarding of credit may change at the discretion of the University. More information may be found at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

Cambridge International Examinations: UMass Dartmouth recognizes Cambridge International A Levels for matriculation purposes.  Advanced credit is given for A Levels on a case by case basis at the discretion of the University.   Students will need to send the provisional statement of results as well as certifying statement to UMass Dartmouth via official request to Cambridge International Examinations at www.cie.org.uk.

Military credits. In accordance with the Valor Act, UMass Dartmouth evaluates credits earned for military education and training using the same standards as those applied to coursework from accredited colleges and universities. All military transcripts are reviewed for transferability of credit to a student’s major.

Freshman Admission to the University

The credentials required for freshman admission consideration are:

  • Completed Common Application or UMassD application
  • Official secondary school transcript including 17 units of college preparatory courses and grades:
  •      English: 4 units
  •      Social Sciences: 2 units, including 1 in United States history
  •      Mathematics: 4 units (Algebra I & II, Geometry or Trigonometry (or comparable) and one math during the final year of high school.
  •      Foreign language: 2 units of the same language
  •      Sciences: 3 units (All units must be laboratory sciences (Natural, Physical, Technology/Engineering)
  •      Electives: 2 units in college preparatory courses
  • SAT I or ACT results* 
  • An essay or personal statement on a topic of your choice
  • $60 Application fee
  • TOEFL or IELTS scores (only for international students)

  • Music applicants must complete an audition
  • Visual Arts applicants (excluding Art History) submission of a portfolio via SlideRoom

*Optional: Students applying for fall 2021 with a 3.0 grade point average or higiher may choose to not submit SAT or ACT test scores during the application procees for all programs and majors. For more informtion visit our no-test option webpage.

Optional: A letter of recommendation from a teacher or school counselor: highly recommended for our most competitive programs, such as nursing, biology, engineering, and psychology.

Optional: Students may now self report standardized SAT/ACT scores to complete application requirements. Reporting of scores is availabile only to those using the Common Application. Admitted students will be required to submit official test scores priority to enrolling.


Applicants who have taken Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses should request examination results be sent to UMass Dartmouth.

Applicants who have taken college courses through dual enrollment must apply as a first-year freshman.

Although College Board SAT II (subject test) results are not considered for admission purposes, applicants who have attended high school within the last three years may submit them. These tests, especially in the sciences, can be a valuable source of information for advisors.

Visual Arts applicants who are unable to submit a portfolio, may apply through our Portfolio Deferred program. More information may be found at http://www.umassd.edu/cvpa/portfoliodeferred

Final Transcripts

Final Official transcripts confirming completion of graduation requirements and final year grades must be provided to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. 

Transfer Admission to the University

A transfer applicant is a high school graduate or GED/HiSET recipient who has earned credits from an accredited college or university (including UMass Dartmouth as a non degree student or the Online & Continuing Education department)

Students transferring from another institution of higher education are welcome to apply to UMass Dartmouth for any semester. Applicants need not have earned a college/university degree to be considered a transfer students. While admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, we recommend a priority deadline of March 1 for fall enrollment and priority deadline of December 1 for spring enrollment.


The credentials required for transfer admission consideration are:

  • Completed application
  • Official transcripts of all previous college or university courses attempted and current courses in progress
  • $60 Application fee
  • High school transcript (only if you have fewer than 24 completed college-level credits)
  • SAT/ACT scores (only if you have fewer than 24 completed college-level credits)
  • TOEFL or IELTS scores (only for international students)
  • Visual Arts applicants (excluding Art History) submission of a portfolio via SlideRoom
  • Music applicants must complete an audition


Transfer applicants may be asked to provide photocopies of catalog pages from previously attended institutions with course descriptions or course syllabi for the work completed to assist in evaluating coursework for UMass Dartmouth equivalencies. Applicants attending Massachusetts public community colleges are not required to provide catalog information.

Nursing Transfer

Due to the competitive nature of the Nursing program there is limited availability for transfer applicants.  For additional Nursing transfer information, visit  www.umassd.edu/nursing/transfer

Final Transcripts

Final transcripts of all completed courses must be forwarded to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions following the completion of previously designated courses in progress.

Transfer Types

Upon matriculation to UMass Dartmouth, new transfer students may view their unofficial transcript and transfer work through COIN, once the student’s incoming term has been activated. UMass Dartmouth helps transfer students benefit from receiving an Associate’s Degree in several ways:


This program provides students who receive their Associate’s Degree in a linked MassTransfer approved program from a Massachusetts community college, guaranteed admissions with a 2.5 GPA, no application fee, automatic satisfaction of all general education requirements except 2 upper-level courses, early registration with UMassD juniors and 60 credits applied toward the bachelor’s degree. To apply for admission through MassTransfer approved programs, please visit www.mass.edu/masstransfer

Joint Admissions

UMass Dartmouth maintains joint admissions agreements with the Community College of Rhode Island, Quincy College, Dean College and Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology. With completion of an Associate’s Degree, students can expect guaranteed enrollment to UMass Dartmouth with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. The application fee is waived when using the Joint Admissions Intent to Enroll form, and students can register at the same time as UMass Dartmouth juniors.

Articulation Agreements

UMass Dartmouth maintains degree specific articulation agreements with several colleges. These agreements provide the guarantee of transfer credit from one institution to another specific major area. For a complete list of current agreements, please visit our Transfer Experience web page at www.umassd.edu/transferexperience.

Transfer credit

The quality and quantity of academic work completed at previous higher education institutions determine the amount of transfer credit accepted at UMass Dartmouth and its applicability toward a bachelor’s degree. UMass Dartmouth reserves the right to re-evaluate the transferability of specific courses offered by other institutions, and to amend the course and/or program offerings without prior notice. The awarding of transfer credit for courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions prior to admission is determined by the Admissions Office and dean, or designee, of the appropriate college.

The university’s basic course and credit transfer policies are stated as follows. These policies apply unless a special articulation agreement or transfer program imposes different conditions approved for that program. Special conditions apply for Interchange Transfer students and students entering under Mass Transfer agreements.  Students who earn credit while studying abroad should refer to the Study Abroad section in the Special Learning Opportunities portion of this catalog for information about how that credit will be transferred to UMass Dartmouth.

Transferable credits are college/university-level credits taken at a regionally accredited institution with content equivalent to a course or appropriate to a curriculum offered at UMass Dartmouth. Most vocational or non-college level courses (such as physical activity, trade education, remedial coursework, and high-school level courses) are not transferable. Courses taken at institutions not holding regional accreditation will be evaluated independently and eligibility will be determined on a case-by-case.

UMass Dartmouth will accept  transferable credits from both 2-year and 4-year institutions. However, the number of credits that can be applied toward a bachelor’s degree varies depending upon the requirements of the degree major. All UMass Dartmouth degrees require at least 120 credits. In order to receive a bachelor’s degree from UMass Dartmouth, transfer students must complete the residency requirement of earning at least 45 credits of coursework at UMass Dartmouth. As part of the 45 credit residency requirement, at least 30 of those credits completed at UMass Dartmouth must be advanced and specialized courses (UMass Dartmouth courses numbered 300 or higher). A student may be granted permission by the appropriate chairperson and/or college dean to earn some of these credits at another institution if the UMass Dartmouth major and minor requirements are met to their satisfaction.

Only credits for courses in which a grade of  “C-” or higher were received will transfer and appear on the UMass Dartmouth transcript, although all previous coursework is considered for admissions purposes. If a transfer course has been taken more than once at another institution, UMass Dartmouth will accept the best grade awarded to the student for that course.

Transferred credits and UMass Dartmouth equivalency course titles will be recorded on the transcript without a grade designation; these courses will not be included in the grade point average earned at UMass Dartmouth.

Transferred courses on the UMass Dartmouth transcript designated as “Under Review” may be transferable; however, these courses must be evaluated by the relevant academic departments to determine course equivalency. Once this process is complete, the transcript will be updated. Students will be asked to submit course descriptions and/or course syllabi from previous institutions to expedite this process.

All courses accepted for transfer credit will count as UMass Dartmouth credits; however, not all transfer credits may count toward the specific degree requirements. Some transfer credits may be counted only as free electives.

Other credits that may be applied to the degree include applicable transfer credits, advanced placement, and/or CLEP credits.

Permanent Interchange Transfer

To be eligible, the applicant must have completed at least 12 credits, be currently enrolled in 12 credits, have a minimum grade point average of 2.00, and be in good standing within the UMass system.

Interchange transfer applicants who have only attended a UMass campus must submit the UMass Dartmouth application form and have an official copy of their current UMass transcript sent; if they meet the eligibility criteria, no other documents are required. Students who have attended another college or university in addition to UMass must submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.

Part-time, continuing-education or non-degree “special students” at a UMass campus should contact the UMass Dartmouth Office of Admissions for specific instructions.

Temporary Interchange Transfer

Temporary interchange students from the other campuses may attend UMass Dartmouth for one or two semesters, applying UMass Dartmouth credits to the degree requirements of their home campus.

Before registering for courses, temporary interchange students should receive from their home campus all necessary approvals regarding the applicability of UMass Dartmouth courses to the degree requirements of their home campus. Temporary interchange students receiving financial aid work through the financial aid office at their home campus.

International Admission to the University

Applicants currently holding an F-1 Visa status or those seeking F-1 Visa status should apply to UMass Dartmouth as either an International Freshman or International Transfer student using the Common Application or the UMassD web application.

International applicants will pay the $60 application fee. Waivers may be requested by emailing the Admissions Office at admissions@umassd.edu. International applicants must submit all fees in US currency. 

International applicants must also meet the US Department of Homeland Security’s requirements for full time students in order to be issued the I-20 form for the F-1  visa application. Applicants must satisfy the conditions for admission to the university and become full-time, degree-seeking students. Review International Admissions Requirements here.

In addition, international applicants whose native language is other than English must submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), which are offered at regularly scheduled intervals throughout the world. Foreign nationals who have completed a year or more of study in the United States or American or International institutions abroad, in which the primary language of instruction is English, are exempt from this requirement.

Undergraduate applicants who do not have the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score should contact the UMassD American Language & Cultures Institute.

Upon acceptance and for as long as they attend the university, International students must International tuition and fees. International undergraduate students are not eligible to receive need-based financial aid from the university.

International College and University Transcripts

Applicants with international college or university credit are required to submit a professional evaluation of academic coursework. Please contact one of the following organizations in order to obtain an official evaluation:

  • World Education Services (WES)
  • Center for Educational Documentation (CED)
  • Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
  • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
  • National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)

International Transfer Credit

Transfer credit may be awarded for international courses. Course descriptions or syllabi may be required and must be translated into English. The Admissions Office and/or appropriate academic departments will conduct the transfer credit evaluation for international credits. Due to the time necessary to complete these evaluations, the Admissions Office does not evaluate transcripts for prospective students.

Due to the required documentation, it is recommended applicants with international transfer credits begin the admissions process early.

In the event that students have transcripts from an International institution in which it is verified that the institutions grading process is done in US standards, in English, and has the appropriate accreditation, the above requirements may be waived.

International Exchange Students

UMass Dartmouth participates in formal and informal international student exchanges. For further information contact the International Programs Office at intlprograms@umassd.edu or call 508.910.6506. Once accepted, exchange students are issued the appropriate paperwork required for the J visa application by the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC).

Visit the International Programs Office web page for further information.

Permanent residents of the United States

Permanent residents who are not citizens of the United States should apply to UMass Dartmouth using the standard freshman or transfer application for admission. A copy of both sides of the immigration form I-551 (green card) must be filed with the application. Permanent residents are eligible to apply and be considered for need-based financial assistance.

Other Types of Admission to the University

Dual enrollment

Students interested in taking college courses at UMass Dartmouth through dual enrollment should inquire with their high school guidance office to see if their high school participates in our program. Applications are available through the high school guidance office and are submitted to UMass Dartmouth through the staff that coordinates the program at the high school. On the application, please indicate the college-level courses you have completed or that are in progress.

Early entry

Secondary school students who have exhausted courses offered in high school may apply as early entry freshmen. Such candidates may be admitted on the basis of superior high school records and test scores. The application must also be supported with a written agreement that the high school approves the plan, and that a diploma will be granted upon satisfactory completion of one or two semesters of college work. Signatures of the school principal or headmaster, guidance counselor and parents are required. Early entry students are not eligible for financial aid programs until they complete their high school graduation.

Deferred admission

Students who have been accepted but find that they are unable to enroll in the semester originally intended may defer their admission for up to two semesters. The $200 enrollment deposit must be paid, and a letter requesting deferment should be sent to the Office of Admissions for approval.

Previously accepted but did not enroll

Students who were previously accepted at UMass Dartmouth but did not attend have two options to consider.  Applicants who have applied within the previous year can use the reactivation form available on the Admissions web site to reinstate their application. Students who submitted their previous application more than one year ago must re-apply for admission and pay the application fee. In both cases, applicants must submit official transcripts from all other colleges and/or universities attended since the time of original application to UMass Dartmouth.

Previously denied

UMass Dartmouth encourages applications from students who were denied admission but who have improved their academic records at other institutions. A reactivation form (if the original application was submitted within one year) or a new application (if the original application was submitted more than one year ago) must be submitted with the appropriate application fee and all supporting credentials. We keep applications on file for three years.

UMass Dartmouth students seeking re-admission

Students previously admitted to UMass Dartmouth/Southeastern Massachusetts University (day division) as degree candidates, and who registered for one or more semesters, may request re-admission by contacting the Registrar’s Office (508.999.8615).

Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree

Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree at UMass Dartmouth who wish to pursue a second baccalaureate degree here are invited to apply for readmission at the Registrar’s Office. Students with a degree from another institution should apply for transfer admission.

Non-degree students

When feasible, UMass Dartmouth allows qualified students who are not UMass Dartmouth degree candidates to register for courses as non-degree students. They may register only for courses for which they are qualified and in which space is available, and will be held to a strict limit in the total number of credits for which they may enroll as non-degree students. Specific regulations for non-degree students are given in the Academic Policies and Regulations section of this Catalog.

Students with Disabilities

Applicants are under no obligation to disclose a disability. If, on the other hand, they choose to seek accommodations in their classrooms, they are encouraged to contact the Center for Access and Success at www.umassd.edu/dss or call 508.999.8711 to obtain eligibility requirements and to discover what services are available to students with documented disabilities.

Mid-Year Admissions

To the extent that space and fiscal resources permit, the university will admit qualified mid-year applicants. Special efforts will be made to ensure that spaces are available in appropriate spring semester classes for those admitted.


Additional Admissions Application Requirements for Specific Majors

The nature of some majors or curricula may make it desirable for additional information to be gathered systematically as a part of the application process so long as they do not contradict the admissions policies and procedures of the University. The following requirements are currently in effect.

Music Audition Requirement

Applicants for admission to the music major must audition, in person, in their principal applied area (either instrument or voice); the audition is a requirement for a completed application in music. For more information about audition requirements and arrangements, please go to www.umassd.edu/cvpa/admissions/auditions/. Those who cannot audition in person must request permission to submit recordings.

Studio Art Portfolio

The faculty of the College of Visual and Performing Arts review applicants’ art portfolios as a part of the application process. Portfolio requirements for incoming freshmen and transfers are available on the College of Visual and Performing Arts web site at www.umassd.edu/cvpa/admissions. Applicants who have not had the opportunity to develop a portfolio can apply for admission through the Portfolio Deferred option. Applicants who are accepted through this option may begin the first year Foundations program and must submit an acceptable portfolio during the first year in order to continue in a studio arts major. The Portfolio Deferred option is available to first year applicants only.

Nursing Programs

Requirements for admission to undergraduate Nursing programs vary. For more information, please visit the College of Nursing website at www.umassd.edu/nursing/.

Graduate Admissions

Contact the Office of Graduate Studies or visit their website for information, program descriptions, and application materials. 

Rescission Policies

The Office of Admissions reserves the right to rescind an offer of admission based on a decline in academic performance. Your admission and enrollment may also be in jeopardy in the event of any previous disciplinary action or criminal charge of any kind.