Apr 16, 2024  
2022-2023 UMass Dartmouth Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 UMass Dartmouth Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Assistance

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth has several financial programs to assist graduate students with the cost of post-baccalaureate study. These programs pertain to matriculated students in a graduate certificate or degree program only.  Non-degree students who have not received formal admission to the University, sometimes called “Special Students” at UMass Dartmouth, are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships

Graduate assistantships come in a variety of forms—teaching, research, or general graduate assistantships—depending on the student’s abilities and the resources and needs of the academic departments. They are competitive and are awarded with respect to the student’s field of study. They are given to applicants with strong records who will best meet the department’s needs. All awards are recommended by the department and college and made through the Office of Graduate Studies. Continuation of assistantships will be determined by the department and college and will be contingent upon the student maintaining an acceptable grade record and making satisfactory progress toward the degree. Performance in the assistantship and the availability of funds are also criteria for continuation.

Applicants request consideration for an assistantship on the graduate admission’s application form. Because the graduate faculty and department recommend assistantship appointments, students who want further information about eligibility and the types of assistantships should contact the academic department concerned.

Admission to a graduate program must precede an offer of an assistantship. In some cases, funding may be late to develop; in other cases, one may have been placed on a waiting list for an assistantship. If you find yourself in this situation, we recommend that you apply for federal aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) while waiting to learn about the assistantship award.

The stipends offered vary widely depending on qualifications and the student’s academic program. Some students, especially doctoral students, may also receive summer assistantships earning an additional stipend. UMass Dartmouth’s graduate assistantships that extend from half-time to full-time are accompanied by a full waiver of tuition.

A full-time graduate assistant (RA or TA) is required to work 20 hours per week for the assistantship; part-time assistantships are pro-rated from this amount.

UMass Dartmouth also offers a small number of fellowships to well-qualified doctoral students.  Distinguished Doctoral Fellows annually receive a $24,000 stipend plus full tuition waiver.  First Year Doctoral Fellows receive one year of support that includes a stipend of $16,000 plus a full tuition waiver.

Distinguished Art Fellowships will be available for students applying to the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program. These fellowships are intended to attract students of unusual artistic ability. Distinguished Art Fellows will receive $12,000 per year and full tuition waiver for up to three years as MFA students subject to maintaining full-time status, a 3.5 GPA and making satisfactory progress in the program. 

Federal Financial Aid

Financial Aid Services is committed to helping applicants and students with all phases of the application and award process. Graduate students are not eligible for federal and state grant aid, however, based on eligibility they can apply for an unsubsidized federal loan and a Graduate PLUS loan. Eligibility is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The priority filing date for the FAFSA is on or before March 1st, with UMass Dartmouth included in the list of schools. The UMass Dartmouth school code is 002210. Students must be admitted to a degree program before eligibility can be determined, and will need to reapply each year. In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must be enrolled at least half-time, be in good academic standing with the university, and be making satisfactory progress towards completion of their graduate degree or certificate. Please visit the Financial Aid website for more information on basic eligibility requirements, as well as maintaining eligibility. Students enrolled less than full-time may receive limited funding. Federal regulations require schools to monitor a student’s academic performance to make sure they are progressing towards completion of a degree or certificate. We have an established policy for evaluating Satisfactory Academic Progress for all financial aid recipients. Lastly, UMass Dartmouth adheres to federal, state and university regulations regarding financial aid funds disbursed for a student who completely withdraws from a semester. Return of funds are fair, equitable and applied uniformly. Click here for more information on our Withdrawal Policy.

Financial Assistance for International Students

International students are not eligible for any federal, state or institutional aid. With the exception of research, teaching assistantships, and Admission’s International merit awards, the University has no special scholarship or financial assistance programs to help International students pay for school. In addition, opportunities to receive on-campus work are limited and students should not expect to earn substantial income through part-time work.

International students must demonstrate that they have sufficient fiscal resources before the University will issue the immigration forms that authorize them to receive their student visas. For those awarded assistantships, we will apply the stipend and tuition/fee waivers toward their expenses on the I-20 form. 

Student Employment

Many students at the University choose campus employment as a way to gain valuable work experience as well as a chance to earn money. Because they are employed in nearly all departments, students are an integral part of UMass Dartmouth’s work force. Student employees perform all aspects of university functions including research, clerical, athletics, academic affairs, student affairs, public safety, arts, media, design, and maintenance. Graduate students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study positions, but can apply for non Work-Study positions. Information on what positions are available and how a student can apply can be found by logging into CORSAIR Job portal.

Other Sources of Support

Special fellowships and scholarships of various sorts may be available through individual departments and external sources, like government or private institutions/organizations. These are designed to support research or enable graduate students to study abroad. Interested applicants should visit our Private Scholarship page for more information and eligibility requirements.  Students are also encouraged to reach out to faculty and administrators to explore what opportunities might be available in their department.