May 19, 2024  
2018-2019 UMass Dartmouth Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 UMass Dartmouth Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Services and Support for Graduate Students

UMass Dartmouth provides comprehensive academic and student support programs. Many are self-contained; others offer not only the full range of local services but access to regional, national, or even international sources through information services, networks, or professional associations.

The many academic-support and student-service programs available to undergraduates can also be used by graduate students. The present listing selects those programs that might be of interest to graduate students. It is not an exhaustive list of the academic and student support functions on the campus.

For ease of reference, these services are presented here alphabetically.  Many, but not all, operate within the Division of Student Affairs.

Student Affairs Vision and Mission Statements

Working collaboratively with our campus and community partners, Student Affairs empowers students to accomplish their dreams in a diverse and inclusive learning community. 

As educators, Student Affairs staff are dedicated to delivering high quality co-curricular programs and services in an environment that supports students’ holistic growth and acquisition of essential life skills in order to actualize their full potential to be responsible, engaged and successful citizen leaders in a global environment. 

Student Affairs staff build a collaborative and diverse learning community that enriches the intellectual, social, cultural, spiritual, emotional and physical well being of  students by promoting academic success, personal growth, leadership development, civility, civic, social and environmental responsibility and respect for diversity.

Academic Resource Center and Student Support Services (ARC/SSS)

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) is an academic support service which provides peer tutoring and small group review sessions for UMass Dartmouth students. Administered by the ARC Central Office, these academic support activities are funded by the university and are provided to students through the three academic area centers of the ARC described below.

  • Math and Business Center, LARTS-010, 508-999-8716: Tutoring in algebra, calculus, accounting, economics, management science, elementary statistics, and other quantitative courses.
  • Science and Engineering Center, SENG, 217B, 508-999-8718: Tutoring in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, nursing, civil, electrical,  computer, and mechanical engineering
  • Writing/Reading Center, LARTS-220, 508-999-8710: Tutoring in English, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, English as a second language, essay writing, writing across the cirriculum, research papers, business and technical communication, reading, and study skills
  • ARC Central Office, LARTS-005, 508-999-8709; The Academic Resource center is open daily when classes are in session. Call for additional information.

Through a grant from the United States Department of Education, the ARC/SSS makes the following additional academic services available to first generation and/or low-income students: individualized needs assessments, tutors, mentors, study groups and study partners, academic enrichment activities, cultural activities and assistance in preparing applications for graduate school. 

This federal grant provided TRiO funding to the ARC as Student Support Services (SSS) funds to provide academic and other services to eligible students. As mandated by the United States Congress, the ARC/SSS “fosters as improved institutional climate” for SSS students at UMass Dartmouth. In recent years this support has also been provided as a monetary supplemental grant aid award in the spring semester to eligible students having unmet need. 

For information concerning SSS eligibility and services contact the ARS/SSS, 508-999-8709.

Alumni Relations Office

The Alumni Relations Office serves as the liaison between the university and over 50,000 proud UMass Dartmouth alumni worldwide. In concert with the UMass Dartmouth Alumni Association, the Alumni Relations Office promotes and fosters lifelong alumni connections, participation and involvement through a variety of programs and events available to both alumni and students.

With the assistance of the newly formed Student Alumni Association (SAA), the Alumni Relations Office engages with current students by providing opportunities for alumni and student interaction through panel discussions, networking events and mentoring relationships.  Additionally, the UMass Dartmouth Alumni Association offers scholarships to qualified students on an annual basis. 

For more information about the Alumni Relations Office, the UMass Dartmouth Alumni Association, or the SAA, visit the Alumni website,, call 508-999-8031 or e-mail

Athletics - Intercollegiate Athletics

The university is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Division III, the Little East Conference (LEC), the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC), and the New England Football Conference (NEFC), Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC), Great North East Athletic Conference (GNAC). The university fields intercollegiate teams for men in baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, sailing, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis and track and field (indoor and outdoor).  Intercollegiate teams for women are fielded in basketball, cheerleading, cross country, equestrian, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field (indoor and outdoor), and volleyball.  For more information visit: or call 508-999-8720. 

Intramural and Instructional Athletics

The intramural program at UMass Dartmouth presents a variety of athletic activities for students. Samples of intramural opportunities include the following:  basketball, flag football, co-ed soccer, tennis, volleyball, table tennis, and co-ed softball. Instructional Programs supported the Fitness Center are cost free for full-time students.  Examples of instructional offerings include Yoga, Pilates, Awesome Abs, Cardio Kickboxing, Shotokan Karate, Step & Sculpt and Zumba.


Facilities are available for recreational use by students throughout the school year. They include the fitness center, gymnasium, swimming pools, running track, various athletic fields and tennis courts. Schedules are available in the Tripp Athletic Center, by calling 508-910-6910 or on-line at

Campus Center

The Campus Center is the home to over two dozen campus organizations and services, including the Division of Student Affairs, SAIL office, Career Development Center, Center for Women, Gender, and Sexuality, Religious Resource Center, Student Government Association, Campus Store, UMass Pass office, Commuter Café and many more. 

The spacious 800 seat Main Auditorium is the heart of student activities: Professional stage and technical equipment make it the ideal location for theatrical productions, presentations or gigs. Use is free to student organizations, departments, and faculty.  For more information visit: or phone 508-910-6440.

Campus Store

The University Campus Store, located on the ground floor of the Campus Center, carries required and recommended textbooks, reference books, computer accessories, software, general school supplies, school-name clothing, and a good selection of sundries and gift items. Textbooks go on sale in August for the fall semester and in early January for the spring semester. Special order service is offered for hard-to-find books.

Call 508-999-8180 for complete information on store hours, textbook returns, and book buy-back, or visit

In addition to cash transactions, the Campus Store accepts VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover, UMass Pass, and checks in the amount of the sale, with appropriate identification. Also, the Campus Store is integrated with the “UMass Pass” system which allows students, once funds are deposited, to make purchases and charge their accounts.

Career Development Center

The Career Development Center (CDC) provides a wide array of career development programs and services to assist all students in setting career goals and developing professional skills.  The CDC provides access to a variety of career-related resources including:

  1. On-Line career management system: Career link Job/ internship postings, resume builder, on-campus recruiting, and career events and job fairs
  2. Four-Year Career Plan Development  On-Line Career Assessment
  3. Career Counseling by appointment
  4. Career Information Panels
  5. Professional Networking Sessions
  6. Internships/Externships 
  7. Career Fairs and Expos

Students may schedule individual appointments to meet with a career counselor by calling the office at 508-999-8661or 8658.  For more information and access to all on-line resources please visit our website:     

Computing on Campus

Information technology is integral to the curriculum at UMass Dartmouth. Faculty members have developed creative and effective ways for students to learn utilizing today’s technology.

Many information technology functions and services are administered through Computing and Information Technology Services (CITS). A flexible team approach provides unified services to support Learning Commons, classrooms, instructional technologies, network and infrastructure services and a wide variety of systems.

CITS provides support for residential students, commuter students, faculty and staff. Support is available face-to-face and by telephone at the Learning Commons, ResTech, IT Service Center, and Faculty and Staff Training Center. Support is also available online, through the CITS website and via e-mail.

CITS provides access, user support, and training for the UMass Dartmouth community. Highlights of the services include:

  • Learning Commons Service Desk:  Walk-up and telephone help desk services are available to all students. Located on the 1st floor of the Claire T. Carney Library, or 508-999-8884. 
  • Residential Tech Support:  Walk-in or telephone help desk services are available to all commuter students. Located in Elmwood Hall, or 508-999-8040.
  • IT Service Center: Walk-in and telephone help desk services are available to all faculty and staff. Located in LARTS-222,  or 508-999-8790.
  • Public Access Computers:  Nearly 400 computers are available throughout campus for student use. Locations include:  Learning Commons (Claire T. Carney Library -1st floor), Training/Computer Labs (Claire T. Carney Library - lower level), and Computer Lab (LARTS-216).
  • Mobile Computing Lending Program (MCLP):  Short-term loans of computer related equipment (i.e. laptops, projectors, wiMax cards) are available to students, faculty and staff. Located at the Acces Services Desk, Claire T. Carney Library -1st Floor, 508-999-8856, or
  • Virutal Computer Lab (VCL): Students have access from their desktop and laptops to highly sophisticated software packages that they cannot afford to purchase for their own computers.
  • Employment. Nearly 70 student employment positions such as Learning Commons Assistants, IT Assistants, Residential Tech Assistants, and Graduate Assistants are available within the various teams.

UMass Dartmouth has established a standard classroom technology protocol, and 90% of its primary classrooms are technology enabled with projections systems with wired and wireless connectivity. The Faculty Instructional Laptop Program (FILP) provides each faculty member a laptop for instruction.

myCourses offers online course instruction for fully online and blended courses. There are other online collaborative tools, e.g. Wimba for face-to-face, wiki’s, blogs, etc. Faculty have access to Safe Assign, a web-based plagiarism detection service. IClicker is used as a classroom personal response system.

UMass Dartmouth has a wide variety of systems to include Zimbra Collaboration Suite (email, calendar, briefcase), COIN for student information, myCourses for on-line courses, myAlert for emergency notification, Campus Services (one-card and dorm access management). UMassD mobile offers access to UMass Dartmouth information from any mobile device.

Students living on campus have the opportunity to connect to the UMass Dartmouth Residential Network. Every bed in the residence hall has a port, which means that every student has a network connection in the room. Students also have wireless available via the UMass Dartmouth WiMAX network. Telephone and e-mail support are available at 508-999-8040 and at

Students residing off-campus must connect via an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and have the necessary equipment required by the provider in order to access the service unless they live within 1 1/2 miles of campus and can utilize the UMass Dartmouth wireless WiMAX network.

The UMass Dartmouth technical infrastructure provides 24/7 availability to the campus network and network services, including web servers, email, collaboration tools, file services, administrative systems, learning management systems, as well as the Virtual Private Network (VPN) for secure access. UMass Dartmouth maintains networks for data, telephone, and cable TV services to support classrooms, laboratories, research facilities, offices and residence halls on the main campus. The university maintains similar networks at all 6 off-site instructional locations.

The university supports a large wireless data network (WiFi) via more than 140 access points. The wireless coverage includes all inner-ring outdoor green spaces, as well as common spaces, cafeterias, and the technology-enabled classrooms. The wireless network is augmented by the campus’s WiMAX network which provides wireless access to the entire campus and nearby community to within 1 1/2 miles of campus. In the Fall 2011, along with student access, UMass Public Safety cruisers and the campus DART Vans begin to have wireless access via the UMass Dartmouth WiMAX network. Additionally, UMass Dartmouth is part of a $21.7 million stimulus grant received by OSHEAN that will provide fiber to the main campus, SMAST and Law School over the next 1 1/2 years.

Each member of the campus community must register on the UMass Dartmouth network prior to accessing network services that include wireless, email, file and print services, calendar, COIN, myAlert, and any other service. Both when a new UMass Dartmouth logon account is issued and at the beginning of each academic year, all members of the UMass Dartmouth community receive an email with the link to the UMass Dartmouth Responsible Use Policy; that link, in turn, provides links to the University of Massachusetts policies, procedures and security guidelines. CITS has established and enforces a number of procedures and protocols to ensure data integrity and security.

Counseling and Student Development Center

The Counseling and Student Development Center offers a safe, supportive place for students to explore concerns, clarify choices, and develop action plans. Services are confidential. There is no charge to students for services.   Students’ health insurance will be billed when appropriate. Because university’s health fee is considered the co-pay, students are not be charged an additional fee. Schedule an appointment by calling 508-999-8648.   Walk-in hours, for students who need to be seen that day, are from 1 pm to 3 pm Monday-Friday. The center is located in the Auditorium Annex, right above Admissions, and is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday. Evening appointments are available but must be arranged in advance.

The center provides individual counseling for personal issues such as relationship problems, homesickness, adjustment to college life, bereavement, depression, anger management, poor self-esteem, procrastination, anxiety, eating disorders, ADD, learning disabilities, academic problems and test anxiety. A consulting psychiatrist is available to see students who might benefit from medication. The center also offers several personal growth or support groups and workshops on topics such as assertiveness, time management and admission to graduate school. It also has a large self-help library and reference materials for students researching graduate programs.  

Services are focused and time-limited. Students in need of long-term or specialized treatment will be assisted in finding off-campus resources. For more information visit:

Dining Services

UMass Dartmouth Dining Services is responsible for all food services on campus including catering, meal plans, and retail dining locations. Locations for eating are situated throughout the campus. Each venue offers great meals, snacks, and beverages that are frosty cold in summer or toasty warm in winter.

Meals for On-Campus Students

Students living in the traditional residence halls (freshman and sophomore housing) are required to purchase one of the four meal plans available. We offer a variety of meal plans to fit the needs of all of our students. Along with being able to use student meal cards in the Residence Dining Hall The Marketplace, students can use a meal swipe at select retail locations for select meals; this is known as meal equivalencies. Dining Services offer meal plans friendly to students who reside in apartment style living (Woodlands and Cedar Dell). There is always a place for students to use their meal plans from 7:00 a.m. until midnight. 

Charges for the student meal plans are shown in the chapter on Expenses and Student Financial Services.

Special Dining Locations

The Market Place (Located in the Resident Dining Building) is an all-you-care-to-eat dining facility with hours from 7:00 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. during the week and 9:00-7:00 on weekends. The Marketplace provides a variety of meals, including a saute station, multiple entree stations, a vegetarian station, and a pizza/pasta station. Some of our all day features include a full deli, salad bar, and breakfast station.

Maple Ridge Cafe (Located in Maple Ridge Residence Hall)

 Maple Ridge is in the home of the freshman living area, offering a variety of concepts including wings, flatbread pizzas, flatbread sandwiches, and hot sandwiches.

Oak Glenn Hershey’s Scoop Shop (Located in Oak Glenn Residence Hall)

Hershey’s Scoop Shop offers a variety of ice cream, milkshakes, and sundaes. Along with ice cream, Oak Glen features What up Dawgs, our hot dog, nacho, and baked potato concept, that allows students a choice of 30 different toppings.

Campus Center Food Court (Located in the Maclean Campus Center)

The Campus Center Food Court offers four dining locations:

  • 2.mato: Freshly made pizzas, calzones, and pizzans for all Italian lovers. With a variety of pasta dishes this authentic Italian dining venue is one of a kind. Students can choose one of our specialty pizzas or build their own.
  • Mondo Subs: Hearty made-to-order subs and wraps are a hit in the new food court.  With bread made fresh every morning and freshly cut meats, students have the ability to make their sub or wrap the way they like it.
  • Plate by Plate: Offers two different concepts daily. With made to order breakfast and lunch dishes, a student can get a freshly made omelet in the morning or stir-fry made to order at lunch. Along with made to order items, the carvery station offers fresh carved meats every day.
  • Wendy’s: As our first national brand restaurant on campus, Wendy’s offers a variety of burgers, chicken sandwiches, and salads. Wendy’s also offers a variety of sides, including baked potatoes and chili.

Corsair Café (Located in the Maclean Campus Center)

Corsair Cafe features a local coffee company, Jim’s Organic. This dark roasted coffee allows students to have a variety of coffees including espresso and cappuccino, along with their favorite flavor shot. Island Oasis smoothies are also available year round with several fruit and coffee flavors. Pastries are made fresh every morning and artisan crafted sandwiches are also available.

Corsair Cove Juice Bar (Located in the Tripp Athletic Fitness Center)

Freshly made Smoothies is the number one favorite at the Juice Bar. With fresh fruit and ingredients it’s a great thing to grab after any workout.           

Café a la Cart (located in three academic buildings)

Serves breakfast items, sandwiches, salads, snacks and hot & cold beverages for students who are on the go between classes.

Birch Grill (Located in Birch Residence Hall)

Birch Grill offers a wide array of selections at this convenient dining location. The newly added Breakfast Express provides students the chance to dine at Birch for breakfast, in addition to their regular lunch, dinner, and late night times. Serving everything from burgers to wings to hot and cold sandwiches, there are plenty of options.

University Club (Located in the Maclean Campus Center)

The newly renovated University Club offers a restaurant-style dining atmosphere for lunch with an option of an all you care to eat buffet or an a la carte menu.

All major credit cards are accepted at all Dining Locations


Today, more than ever, everyone on campus recognizes the benefits of special events, ranging from introductions and receptions to faculty meetings, fundraising galas, holiday parties, and much more. Extraordinary celebrations are a specialty. Dining Services will arrange for floral arrangements, linens, personalized services, menus and, of course, food. 

Visit us on-line at for further information in regards to reserving your event.

For further Dining Services questions please contact 508-999-8993

For further Event Services needs please contact the Conference and Events Planning Office at 508-999-8143.

Frederick Douglass Unity House

Having opened in 1995, the Frederick Douglass Unity House is the first center established on the UMass Dartmouth campus to embrace multiculturalism. The mission of Unity House is to create an environment that nourishes the special academic, cultural, informational and social/communal needs of students, faculty, and staff of color. All students, faculty, and staff are welcomed and encouraged to share in the development of this vital organization.  

The facility provides a culturally focused library, study area, computer facilities, meeting/conference room, and lounge. Students play a major role in the operation of the center by creating programs and events that help to achieve the mission of the center. All members of the university community, especially students, are encouraged to develop activities that will assist the Unity House to fulfill its goals and mission as well as celebrate diversity at UMass Dartmouth. The Unity House is open year round and is located in the Resident Dining Building. For more information visit: or phone 508-999-9220.

Health Services

The Health Services Office is equipped to handle most health related problems that students may encounter while at UMass Dartmouth. It is located across from Pine Dale Residence Hall; phone 508-999-8982. During the academic year, students may schedule appointments with our physician or nurse practitioners, including a woman’s health nurse practitioner. Our Health Education and Promotion office is located in Oak Glen Residence Hall; phone 508-910-6965. We have a part time nutritionist available by appointment. Referrals are made to community resources, including all emergencies. 

All matriculated students pay a health fee which entitles students to use health services. Student health insurance is billed for appointments in health services. There is no co-pay, nor are students responsible for any billed services that are uncollected.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires university students to have comprehensive health insurance. Information regarding coverage is included with each student’s tuition statement. See the chapter on Expenses for the policies on the university’s health insurance requirements. For more information visit:

Housing & Residential Education

The Office of Housing & Residential Education is responsible for all phases of resident living on campus. This includes room assignments, educational programming, community development activities, and the promotion of a living/learning environment on-campus. Students are encouraged to be responsive to community standards. For more information visit: or call 508-999-8140. 

Traditional Halls, Apartments and Townhouses

The residence halls are more than just places to eat and sleep; they provide the opportunity for students to become part of a community. The university currently houses 4,500 students. On-campus housing provides three different residential options: traditional (first year & sophomore), apartment (upper-class), and townhouse (upper-class). 

The first-year traditional halls have 10-13 person suites with double, single, triple, or quad rooms. The suite may have either one or two bathrooms. Recreation rooms, mail, laundry facilities, community kitchen, and a full-time Resident Director’s apartment and office are part of each building. 

Within the traditional sophomore residence halls are multi-purpose lounge areas, classrooms, and a community kitchen. Important support services are also located within the traditional halls, including the Center for Access & Success, and the Office of International Student and Scholar Center. 

Apartment style living is found in the Woodlands. The apartments in The Woodlands consist of two or four single bedroom units that include a common living space, kitchen and two bathrooms. 

Cedar Dell residences consists of five and six person townhouses housing each student in single bedrooms with shared common living space, kitchen, and two bathrooms. Recreation, mail, and laundry facilities are available in two student community centers. 

The Woodland apartments and Cedar Dell townhouses provide environments that emphasize maturity, autonomy, and independent living. These residents often prepare their own meals together. Priority for this housing option is given to juniors, seniors, and graduate students.

All residence hall rooms are fully equipped with a bed, bureau, desk, chair, closet, connections for cable TV and telephone, and high speed ethernet ports to access the computer network.

Living Learning Communities

Relatively new to residence hall living are First Year Living Communities (FYLLC).  These are residential clusters of students who share academic or social and cultural interests. Other housing options located in various residence halls include Quiet Housing where residents maintain a quiet living atmosphere 24 hours a day, and Substance Awareness housing where residents maintain a substance free environment. Graduate and Law housing is available as well. Residents are housed together in a limited number of apartments in one residential location or elsewhere on a space available basis. In addition, Transfer Community housing is available to our new, incoming transfer students who are housed together in one location to facilitate a shared UMass Dartmouth transfer experience.


UMass Dartmouth is a smoke-free campus.

Student Involvement

Students participate through the Residence Halls Association, a collective advisory group representing student interests in the residential facilities. The Residence Halls Association also creates program opportunities for the on-campus population, and in many ways works with the Office of Housing & Residential Life to enhance campus life.


Charges for student housing are shown in the chapter on Expenses and Student Financial Services. The Student Handbook and the housing website provide additional, specific information ( 

Access to On-Campus Housing

Preference for on-campus housing is given to full-time undergraduate students. Considerations for housing students with special needs must be approved by the Office of Housing & Residential Life and will be considered on a space-available basis.


Information about meal plans and alternative dining locations is provided in the Dining Services section above.

International Student & Scholar Center

The International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) engages international students and scholars in university life by providing advice and support in personal and government regulatory matters, and by educating the entire university about international education and a campus internationalization process. 

Once an international student is admitted to a degree or exchange program, the center issues the paperwork required for the visa application, and provides pre-arrival information. Prior to the beginning of each academic term, ISSC sponsored International Orientation sessions offer essential information about the visa regulations, student employment and Social Security, academic expectations and the campus culture. 

The ISSC continues to serve students year round by providing general advice, assisting with campus life or personal needs, and ongoing support with visa related issues. A variety of employment workshops, sponsorship of cultural events, and other activities of interest are offered annually by the center.  For more information visit or call 508-910-6633.

International Study and Travel

Students interested in pursuing a course of study and travel in another country may obtain assistance in academic planning from the Academic Advising Center. Students may remain registered as continuing students of this university while they pursue studies abroad, through Withdrawn on Exchange status.


The University Library provides information in support of all academic programs, research, and intellectual pursuits of the university community. Working closely with faculty, the library staff have developed a strong collection of books, journals, reference works, and databases to meet the ever increasing needs of undergraduates, faculty, graduate students, and the general public.

The largest building on campus and significantly renovated in 2012, the library has seating for 1,200 people, and is open seven days a week during the academic year. In addition to a book collection of more than 450,000 volumes, the library subscribes to more than 2,500 periodicals and has more than 15,000 non-print items. More than 16,000 titles are available electronically. All of these materials are accessible through an online catalog available in the library and accessible from anywhere via the campus network and the Internet. To help students use these and other resources, the library provides one-on- one and group instruction.

E-reserves, a digital reserve system, enables students to access and use reserve items from any location on or off campus at any time.

The university identification card (UMass Pass) with library barcode entitles students and faculty to use and borrow library materials from any public college or university in the state as well as a number of local libraries. In addition, a large interlibrary loan network and delivery system makes millions of volumes available to library users.

UMass Dartmouth is part of the Boston Library Consortium, an association of major college and research libraries in New England. It is a key participant in BLC and state wide Virtual Catalog Projects. The Virtual Catalogs allow the individual patron to directly search and order books from libraries throughout the state.

The University Library maintains an interesting browsing collection of recent books on the first floor to encourage casual reading. Recorded books and videos are also shelved nearby.

For more information about the library, visit its web site at

Medical Leave of Absence

Students in good academic standing who are unable to return to the university or are unable to finish a semester for medical reasons may request a Medical Leave of Absence. Requests are initiated through the Director of Counseling (for psychological reasons) or the Director of Health Services (for physical reasons).

The directors of the respective services must receive a letter from the student’s physician, therapist, or other health-care provider typed on office letterhead. It must describe the student’s condition and verify it is the specific reason for the request for a Medical Leave of Absence from UMass Dartmouth. After receiving the required medical documentation, the Director will send a recommendation to the office of Student Affairs, and if approved, the student will be notified in writing that a Medical Leave has been granted.  If there are conditions that must be met before the student resumes his/her studies, they will be noted. 

The student leave form, available on the Student Affairs web site, should be filled out and submitted with your leave request. The Director must know the last day you attended class in order to process your request.

If students receive financial aid, the effective date of their leaves may alter their present and/or future financial aid; therefore, students are required to check with the Financial Aid Office. Students are also responsible for determining how Medical Leave may affect their health insurance. Note: Massachusetts legislation requires employers’ health plans to offer insurance to dependents under the age of 26.

Medical Leaves are for students who plan to return to the university after they are physically and/or psychologically able to return and complete their academic studies. If students must take incompletes for a semester, withdraw etc., they should contact the Student Affairs Office.  Medical Leave requests must be made before or during a semester, not after the semester has passed. In unusual circumstances, a Medical Leave may be requested retroactively for the semester previous to the current one. Medical leaves will not be extended retroactively past one year. 

Parking on Campus

All members of the community must obtain a parking permit (decal or other permit) for their vehicle or motorcycle. All vehicles on campus must have a valid parking decal on the first day of classes. If you have registered your vehicle online and on time, your parking decal will mailed to your permanent address.  After the deadline decals may be picked up at Parking Services, located on the ground floor of the Campus Center after you have registered online.  Fees must be paid at the time the decal is picked up. 

For further questions please visit our website

Public Safety

The Department of Public Safety provides twenty-four hour a day protection of the entire campus and individuals on the campus. Campus police officers are vested with full law enforcement powers, identical to the local police in the community. The officers are trained at the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Academy and also receive annual in-service and specialized training in such aspects as first-aid, CPR, defense tactics, legal updates, evidence gathering, traffic control, and investigations.

The university provides the “DART,” a shuttle van for on-campus safety transportation. The service begins at 5:30 each night and ends at 2:00 am, 7 days a week. When there are special events on campus, extended service is provided for one half-hour after the event closes. There is a pre-set route that takes approximately 20 minutes to complete. DART service stops are designated with a sign and are located at the residence halls, the campus center, the gym, Cedar Dell, and the library. The DART does not respond to special requests for transportation except to provide direct service for disabled students.

Any student, faculty, staff or visitor may report a potential criminal action and emergency on campus by calling 9191 for emergencies or 8107 for the police dispatcher.

Crime and Fire

A list of campus crime and fire statistics for the previous three-year period is available from the Department of Public Safety upon request and through the pamphlet, A Guide to Campus Safety and Law Enforcement.

Emergency Call Boxes

An emergency telephone system is provided on campus. These emergency telephones are in strategic locations around campus and are easily identified by their distinctive stainless steel and blue containers as well as by their bright blue light during the nighttime. The emergency phones are connected directly to the police dispatch desk. No dialing is required. They may also be used to summon an escort. 

Public Safety Programs

A unit in the Department of Public Safety is the Investigations and Crime Prevention Unit. Officers who specialize in selected crime prevention duties staff this section. Programs available through the Crime Prevention section include a the DART shuttle, Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) course for women, Operation I.D., Alcohol Awareness, and Anti-drunk Driving Workshops.


Located on the first floor of the Foster Administration building, the Registrar’s office serves the instructional program by preparing, retaining, and making accessible all records pertaining to the academic programs and the academic work of the university’s students. Here students register for classes and receive the records of their progress and achievement; when they graduate, all students’ academic records are made available through a transcript-production service. Here the schedules of the instructional program are prepared each semester for the academic departments.

Beyond such services, the Office maintains the record of the university’s academic affairs through the computerized Student Information System and monitors and enforces many of the academic procedures and policies of the university, as described in the Academic Policies and Procedures section of this catalog.

Center for Religious and Spiritual Life

The Center for Religious and Spritual LIfe staff coordinates religious activities and serves the spiritual needs of the university community. Clergy and ministers from several denominations provide opportunities for worship, spiritual direction and counseling, and programs which enable students, faculty and staff to nurture their spiritual lives. The staff is available to persons of all creeds and at the request of the individual or group will make referrals to resources of particular religious traditions in the greater community.

The RRC office is located in room 210 on the second floor of the campus center and is open daily on a walk-in basis. An appointment with a specific campus minister may be made by stopping by the office, by telephone, or by email. The office opens Monday-Friday at 8am. For more information visit: or phone: 508.999.8872.


UMass Dartmouth undergraduate students may participate in Army ROTC through a cooperative program with Providence College in Rhode Island. The US Army Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) teaches leadership, team work, and responsibility through a curriculum that includes elective courses, leadership labs, and physical fitness training. The Patriot Battalion, headquartered at Providence College, serves UMass Dartmouth, Bristol Community College, Brown University, Bryant College, the Community College of Rhode Island, Johnson and Wales University, and Rhode Island College. The ROTC program is designed to prepare men and women for success in college, as an Army Officer or for any chosen career, and offers opportunities for financial assistance in the form of scholarships.

  • UMass Dartmouth students may participate in Providence College’s ROTC program and receive benefits that include financial aid.
  • Students register for Providence College courses at Providence College. 
  • Students can get ROTC courses/credits posted to their UMass Dartmouth transcript as Transfer Credit, according to the transfer credit policies of their specific academic department. Students planning to participate in ROTC should  use the Transfer Course Prior Approval process to initiate departmental approval of such transfer credit.
  • Students obtain ROTC program advising and access to scholarships through the ROTC program at Providence College. 

To obtain additional information contact, Providence College, Department of Military Science, at 401.865.2025 or email

Safety or Health Issues

Safety is monitored carefully in classes and laboratories in chemistry, biology, medical technology, physics, and studio arts that may contain or use chemicals, bacteria, viruses, silica, asbestos, x-ray, radiation or animals, which under normal conditions are harmless but may affect persons with high risk conditions. Robert Casparius is the university’s Enviromental Health and Safety Officer 508-999-8176.

Students should report to the Health Office, the Office of Facilities and Physical Plant, the Campus Police, or the appropriate department chairpersons anything on campus that could be hazardous.

Student Activities, Leadership & Involvement Office

The Student Activities, Involvement & Leadership Office assists students in joining an organization or even creating a new one. At the office students can also learn about leadership opportunities on campus and developing leadership skills; there is information available there, on the web, or by calling 508-999-8127.

Currently there are more than 120 student organizations on campus. Academic-related organizations represent nearly every major and special interest group. Students can find multiple ways to meet new people, learn new skills, explore different cultures and have fun. For a complete list of all student organizations, please check the current listing at:

The following groups are influential in shaping student life on campus (partial listing).  

Arts and Media

  • The Torch (Student-run Newspaper)
  • Theatre Company
  • 20 Cent Fiction (Alternative Theatre Group)
  • Mental Note (A Capella Group)
  • Anime Club
  • Dance Team
  • Concert Tech
  • African Drumming and Dance Club
  • Sculpture Club

Culture and Diversity

  • Asian Student Association (ASA)
  • Cape Verdean Student Association (CVSA)
  • Caribbean Culture Club
  • Haitian American Student Association (HASA)
  • Muslim Students Association (MSA)
  • Portuguese Language Club
  • French Club
  • Indian Student Association (ISA)
  • People of African Descent (PAD)

Community Service

  • American Red Cross
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • Rotaract
  • Masspirg
  • Advocate. Celebrate. Educate. (ACE)


  • American Society of Mechanical Engineers
  • Finance Club
  • National Art Education Association
  • Philosophy Association
  • Psychology Club
  • Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)
  • Philosophy Association
  • Graphic Design Club
  • Pre-Healthcare Society

Lifestyle and Events

  • Outdoor Club
  • Pride Alliance
  • College Democrats
  • College Republicans
  • Shotokan Karate Club
  • Ski and Snowboard Club
  • Social Change Society
  • Christian Fellowship
  • Rock Climbing Club
  • Gaming Society

Greek Organizations

The SAIL Office works closely with the fraternities and sororities, as well as the governing bodies and the Order of Omega to develop programs and policies. The SAIL Office provides training and support so that groups are meeting University and National Office requirements. 

Student Government Association (SGA)

This is the governing body for all undergraduate students and offers a forum for debate on matters of importance to the student body. The SGA appoints students to membership on a wide range of university committees. Students are active, voting participants on many of the committees that recommend policies and procedures for the academic and student affairs aspects of the university.

Scrimshaw Yearbook

The Yearbook is produced entirely by students and captures events, senior portraits and campus life. It is a great project for design, photography and business majors to get experience or anyone who wants to work on a historical document that will touch all students’ lives well into the future. 

Theatre Company

This is the oldest and longest running Theatre Company on campus. Its student productions include musicals, dramatic works, comedies and playwriting festivals. It includes opportunities to be onstage, back stage or supporting the front of house operations. No experience is necessary. 

The Torch

The Torch is the weekly, student newspaper that is produced solely by students. Whether you are an English, design, photography or business major, the Torch is a great way to get experience with applying your craft in a very public way. The newspaper staff is a close-knit group of people who serve as experts on news and commentators on all things related to the student experience on campus. 

Golden Key Honor Society

The university holds a charter membership in the Golden Key International Honor Society. UMass Dartmouth students wo rank among the top 15% of juniors and seniors are invited to become members.  Activities include participation in regional and national leadership conferences. Lifetime membership is a tribute to academic achievement and also an investment that can provide leadership training, scholarship opportunities, and career assistance.  

For more information visit: or call 508-999-8640.

Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution

The Office of Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution is responsible for overseeing the development, distribution, and enforcement of university student conduct regulations and updating the Student Handbook.  The mission of the Office of Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution is to foster the development of community standards and individual behavior through education, with an emphasis on policies and procedures, and student rights and responsibilities.  The Office of Student Conduct and Dispute Resolution is located in the Student Affairs Office, Campus Center, Room 221.  For more information visit: or call 508-910-6402. 

UMass Pass/Student ID

A UMass Pass is a student identification card. It is one card that allows students to enter their residence halls, check books out of the library, print and make copies, use a plan and snack allowance, purchase items at the bookstore, and use the Fitness Center. 

Students receive their UMass Passes at new student orientation. Those who are unable to attend orientation may visit the UMass Pass office, located in the Campus Center, during summer business hours, to receive their UMass Pass before classes begin. 

There are two kinds of accounts on the UMass Pass: the UMD Dollars account and Food and Snack Account. The food and snack allowance may be used at various food venues on campus. UMD Dollars can be used at any location that accepts UMass Pass, including some off-campus locations.

Note: a UMD Dollars account is separate from the UMass Pass “snack account,” which resident students receive as part of their meal plans. The “snack allowance” may be used at various food venues on campus. 

You can deposit money into your UMass Pass UMD Dollars account online or at the UMass Pass office. Please visit the UMass Pass web site at for more information.

University Enrollment Center

All students (Day, Evening, Summer and Graduate) receive comprehensive enrollment and financial services at the University Enrollment Center.

At one location, students can:
  • pay tuition, fees, and housing charges
  • check the status of financial aid (and get help understanding it)
  • register for classes; add and drop classes; etc.
  • check their billing account (and get help understanding it)
  • get a copy of class schedule
  • check transcript or obtain or order transcripts
  • obtain or submit financial aid forms or documents
  • pay parking tickets
  • obtain enrollment certifications for health insurance or other purposes
  • and most importantly, obtain advice and assistance!
By integrating financial and registration services in one location, the university:
  • assists students with the interrelationships between their aid, registration, and account status
  • eliminates the necessity to go to three or four different offices
  • refers special problems to the best place for immediate, quality assistance.

The University Enrollment Center counter is located on the first floor of the Foster Administration Building Lobby.

Veterans’ Services

UMass Dartmouth proudly welcomes all active duty students and veterans.  Veterans may receive assistance in the office of the University Registrar and the Office of Student Affairs.  Students are encourage to take advantage of the many educational benefits offered by the government for veterans and active military students.  Veterans shouild also join the email distribution list and participate in the Veteran’s Advisory Board by contacting Student Affairs at 508-910-6402.

VA programs are approved for benefits available under specified chapters of title 38, U.S. Code.  Eligible students must obtain an application on campus, or from their regional Veterans Administration Office.  UMass Dartmouth will issue a Certificate of Eligibility which should be presented to the Office of Veterans’ Affairs for the certificate of enrollment.  It is the veteran’s responsibility to notify the university of any changes in course credit or addresses in a timely manner.

Veterans’ tuition waivers are available for those individuals who are considered Veterans under M.G.L. Chapter 4, Section 7 (43), including WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Lebanese peace keeping force, Grenada rescue mission, the Panamanian inervention force, or the Persian Gulf, provided they meet other eligibility criteria that include: a permanent legal resident if Massachusetts for at lease one year and in accord with the university’s residency requirements; not in default of any federal student loans or owing a refund; a degree candidate or eligible to apply for degree candidacy.

Women, Gender & Sexuality Center

The Center for Women, Gender & Sexuality offers resources and support on LGBT and women’s issues and coordinates campus initiatives to prevent sexual violence. The Center for WGS gives voice for women and the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered community, with purpose to eliminate barriers, diminish prejudices, and create a supportive climate and space for all. Central to its mission is the recognition that explorations of gender must take place in tandem with exploration of race, class, sexual orientation and other significant aspects of individual identity. The center offers educational programs and events, a lending library, resources and referrals, as well as drop-in services.  The center is open year round and is a department in Student Affairs. For more information, visit us on the second floor of the Campus Center or by calling 508-910-6567 or on the web at