Jul 15, 2024  
2020-2021 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Special Learning Opportunities

Individualized Courses, Alternative Credit, Experiential Learning, Internships, Study at other Institutions

Students may desire educational experiences that extend beyond the regular courses of the university. The university thus offers various individually-initiated learning experiences to its students.  These include Independent Study, Experiential Learning, and Directed Study; study at a nearby university through cross-registration; study abroad; and receiving credit through a variety of standardized examinations.

Special Course Opportunities

Directed Study

Students who wish to take a regular university course in a term when it is not offered may seek to do so through a Directed Study option. However, students must understand that, because the appropriate faculty must be available and approvals must be granted, the option of Directed Study for a particular course is not always available.

In Directed Study, the faculty member must agree to provide students with close supervision to aid them in achieving the same course objectives that would have been accomplished during a normal instance of the course. Permission for Directed Study must be obtained from the subject/course faculty member, the student’s department chairperson, and the college dean, after consultation with the faculty advisor.

Forms for enrolling in Directed Study are available at the Registrar’s Office. Directed Study courses will be so designated on the student’s transcript, displaying the title of the course undertaken. Directed Study courses are offered at each course level, 1xx, 2xx, 3xx, and 4xx, in order to match the level of the course of record.

Independent Study

Independent Study, which is faculty-supervised research or readings into areas of study outside the current curriculum, offers students the opportunity to investigate a research topic or readings independently, under the close supervision of a faculty member. Independent Study will only be approved for research into areas of study that do not duplicate the university’s current curriculum of courses.

The student will be responsible for meeting the requirements of the Independent Study as outlined and approved, and the faculty sponsor will assume responsibility for coordinating the Independent Study, evaluating its results, and determining an appropriate grade.

Upper Division students may request to do Independent Study, upon recommendation of a faculty sponsor and approval of the student’s department chairperson and college dean. Twelve semester credits is the maximum of Independent Study allowed for an undergraduate academic career. The student must submit a written proposal and outline of the program of study to be undertaken, which, if approved by the sponsor and the department chairperson, will become a guide for evaluating the student’s performance and accomplishment.

Forms for enrolling in Independent Study are available at the Registrar’s Office. Independent Study courses will be so designated on the student’s transcript, displaying an annotation of the topic undertaken.

Internships, Practicums, and Experiential Learning

Students in any major may arrange for an external learning experience. Most departments list the course Experiential Learning for their majors; it offers lower-division work experience at an elective level. Some of the university’s majors offer upper-division internship or practicum opportunities for students.  An internship or similar experience is mandatory for students whose participation in the University Studies curriculum is mandatory.

Experiential Learning

Experiential Learning provides an opportunity for practical application of academic training while earning academic credit.

Under the direction of a faculty sponsor, and with approval of the appropriate Dean, arrangements are made to work under the immediate supervision of a supervisor at a work site, which may be located on or off campus. The range of project types and settings is almost limitless, creating exciting ways to enrich one’s academic studies, to test a tentative career choice, and to gain valuable experience.

The Experiential Learning contract is an agreement to undertake a significant academic learning experience:

  • Participating students maintain a log or journal of experiences. They also receive assessments from the individual they are working for, the supervisor at the work site.
  • In all cases, the student must submit a work of writing and reflection to the faculty sponsor for evaluation. The exact assignment is determined by the sponsoring faculty member.
  • The faculty sponsor evaluates the project and assigns either a CR or NC grade.

Students wishing to participate must submit a contract proposal and receive the required approvals. The Career Resource Center may assist students in making these arrangements.  Typically, students work with a faculty member to arrange the internship; they submit a written proposal which identifies the internship’s site, goals and objectives, work to be performed, and the name of the on-site supervisor. 

The following are some of the academic limitations and definitions:

  • Students must be at least sophomores to participate.
  • Although the typical internship contract would earn three credits, internships proposing a greater/lesser number of credit hours are also possible. Experiential Learning credits are part of the normal student credit load and subject to university policy with regard to credit hour limitations.
  • Students on academic probation are not eligible for Experiential Learning, unless ineligibility is waived by their college dean.
  • The work assignment typically comprises at least 45 clock hours per academic credit.
  • Supervision of students doing projects under the Experiential Learning program shall in all cases exclude individuals who are themselves undergraduate degree candidates; and a faculty member cannot serve as both supervisor and sponsor.

Students in the College of Business are offered a junior-level Internship course in lieu of Experiential Learning.  Students may contact the Career Development Center for assistance with internship preparation including resume writing, interviewing and job search strategies..

General Limitation on Internship Credit

No more than 1/8th of the graduation credits required for the student’s major may be earned in optional internships, including Experiential Learning.

Internships, Clinical Experiences, and Practicums in the Majors

Certain university’s majors require an upper-division internship, practicum, or clinical experience; others allow for an optional course. These experiences range from an experience nearby in a course the student takes during a semester to a semester or even a year-long in experience that may be well away from campus. Consult the requirements section for your major to learn of these opportunities. 

Certain university majors require an upper division internship, practicum or clinical experience while others allow for an optional course offering.  During an academic semester, a student’s internship site is typically located within commuting distance of campus.  Students planning to leave campus for an internship over the course of multiple semesters should consult their College Dean and Department Chairperson to understand the requirements for your major.

Internships and Cooperative Education in Engineering

The College of Engineering offers internship opportunities as well as a cooperative education option to qualified students. Students earn valuable career-related experience while applying their engineering knowledge in full or part-time positions. Please consult the front of the catalog section on the College of Engineering.

Internships Away from Campus through Affiliated Programs

Some programs that may be available to UMass Dartmouth students, like those of The Washington Center or Disney Enterprises, offer a full semester at an internship site. The university has formulated procedures whereby the student can maintain an appropriate enrollment status to participate in such internship programs.

Financial arrangements, enrollment status, and credit that can be earned vary, depending on the program.

Study Abroad

The university encourages its students to study abroad, and this study can include credit-bearing internships.  For all such programs occurring abroad, students apply simultaneously through their academic department and the International Programs Office (IPO).  Registration protocol calls for UMass Dartmouth students engaging in any form of education abroad to register with the International Programs Office.  Along with study-abroad academic programs, this requirement includes internships, experiential learning, and student organization activities when conducted outside the United States.  Several exchange agreements have been established to facilitate study abroad, together with procedures for academic advisement, registration, and planning personal finances. In addition, a wide variety of programs are available, both of short duration and for a semester or a year. Each year courses and/or field components within campus courses are led by faculty abroad. UMass Dartmouth offers hundreds of study abroad program options via partnerships with third party providers.

Faculty-led courses abroad are UMass Dartmouth courses. Grading policies and financial aid eligibility is the same for these courses as for any other UMass Dartmouth courses. Students participating in third party provider programs can generally apply financial aid awards to the cost of those programs. 

Exchange agreements facilitate study for UMass Dartmouth students at a partner university abroad and study at UMass Dartmouth by students visiting from the partner universities. The visiting Exchange students bring to campus with them a cross-cultural learning opportunity for all members of the campus community.  Exchange participants pay tuition and fees at their home campus and financial aid awards apply as for any other term.

Study Abroad Policies and Procedures

The International Programs Office provides general oversight of exchange, faculty-led and provider study abroad programs. This includes credit-bearing internships abroad. Study Abroad fairs and other informational events are offered by the IPO each semester.  A complete list of approved study abroad programs, application procedures and deadlines, and other guidelines are available on the IPO website at http://www.umassd.edu/ipo/studyabroad/

The application process is completed online.  A link to the application portal is located on the IPO website. 

1.  Students apply to the university for certification of eligibility to study abroad.  Minimum requirements are 2.5 gpa for semester study (2.0 for intersession), no current student conduct sanctions, and a student financial account in good standing.  Other requirements may apply for some programs.

2.  Eligible students apply for the study abroad program of their choice and must also be accepted by that program in order to participate.

Students seeking to study abroad must first plan their intended program of study with their faculty advisors and Department Chairs and file with IPO a signed “Prior Approval of a Study Abroad Transfer Credit” form.

Financial aid may be obtained if the student is eligible and pursuing the study abroad experience to earn credits toward degree requirements.  Furthermore, a special scholarship, the Mary Louise Walsh Fund for International Study, makes assistance available in the form of grants to undergraduates and graduating seniors. Students who are on financial aid are required to file either an estimated expenses form or a consortium agreement with the Financial Aid Office.  These forms are available on the student application portal as well as on the study abroad website. 

Students who receive final approval to study abroad  remain in active student status and will be listed as “Study on Exchange” status in COIN. This status allows students to remain in current, registered status while they pursue full-time studies at another higher-education institution. They may thus remain matriculated students eligible to apply approved credits earned to their UMass student record and continue to qualify for their financial aid benefits. A modest fee is charged for “Study on Exchange” status.

Study Abroad Grade Policy

Study Abroad credits are considered to be “in residence.”  Study Abroad courses are given equivalent letter grades for courses earning a grade of A+ through C-. A grade of NC is awarded when the course receives a UMass Dartmouth-equivalent grade below C-, or for any case that has not been approved by the academic major chairperson.  Letter grades earn the credit stipulated for the course but do not affect the GPA.  NC grades are shown on the transcript but do not affect the GPA.

The exception to the above grading system occurs:

  • When UMass Dartmouth courses are offered abroad (either entire courses or portions of courses).  In this case, regular UMass Dartmouth grading prevails for UMass Dartmouth students.  Students may elect the P/F option as with any other UMass Dartmouth courses, following the normal P/F rules.
  • When an exchange agreement of other curriculum requirement specifies that a course taken abroad will use the regular UMass Dartmouth grading system.

At the conclusion of the study abroad course, students will take responsibility for submitting a transcript or other official record of the results of the study abroad course.

Service Learning

UMass Dartmouth is committed to service learning as a pedagogical method. This endeavor is supported by the Leduc Center for Civic Engagement, which offers resources and support to faculty and student leaders implementing service-learning into their courses and programs.

Service-learning, credit-bearing courses support student attainment of discipline-specific knowledge through creatively designed active learning community-based projects, and at the same time provide community benefit through the thoughtful identification and completion of community-based service. Service-learning classes range from introductory courses to capstones, and extend classroom learning into the community through meaningful, challenging service.

There is a clear link between academic objectives and service experience that is mutually beneficial to the goals of the course and community need. Students reflect on their experience as a means to gain a greater understanding of course content and a broader sense of civic responsibility.

Receiving Credit through Standardized Examinations

CLEP Examinations

The University has approved the use of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The CLEP exams are offered by the College Entrance Examination Board. The program enables those who have reached the college level of education outside the university to demonstrate their achievement and to use the test results for college credit and/or placement.

The equivalency of CLEP examinations to this university’s courses are determined by the department that teaches that subject matter. CLEP credits may not be used to duplicate or replace credits for coursework taken here or elsewhere. The office of the University Registrar maintains a current list of CLEP examinations accepted for credit on its website; we advise current students to consult the equivalency tables and their advisor before deciding to take CLEP tests.

CLEP credits are defined as transfer credits and will not be reflected in an individual’s grade point average. No more than 30 credits earned by CLEP Examination may be used to satisfy degree requirements.

Two types of CLEP examinations are offered:

Subject Examinations
One semester’s course credits (usually 3) or two semesters’ course credits (usually 6) may be awarded for a score at or above 50, as reported on the CLEP score report. Such credits are generally used to satisfy university distribution requirements or may be used as elective credits. We do not accept all CLEP Subject Examinations for credit. One that we do not accept is the Freshman College Composition test.

General Examinations
Credit is not awarded at UMass Dartmouth for the CLEP General Examinations.

Advanced Placement—AP Credit

Advanced placement and/or college credit are awarded to entering freshman students presenting Advanced Placement Examination grades of three or higher (four for credit in Psychology) in most AP fields. AP courses taught in high schools are college-level courses, and the students’ mastery of the content is validated by the AP Examination series administered by the College Board. Such course credits may be used to satisfy degree requirements, University Studies requirements, or will allow students to place into a more advanced initial course.

Dual Enrollment Credit

Some freshman students enter the university with college credit already earned, from courses taken at a college or university while they were in high school, many through the Massachusetts Dual Enrollment program.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Entering freshman students presenting IB Exam grades may be awarded advanced placement and/or college credit dependent upon the grades received.  Information about test scores and course equivalencies is available through the Office of Admissions.

Credit through Military Training (Valor Act)

In accordance with the Valor Act, The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth grants credit hours for military educational experiences as recommended by the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. This is in accordance with transfer credit policies at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.  The University will transfer no more than 6 credit hours for Basic Combat Training.  Military education credit will be allowed for Baccalaureate credit with no limit on credit.  However, students must complete all degree program requirements, the University 30 credit upper level requirement, as well as the University 45 credit in residency requirement.   Baccalaureate credit will be allowed for Defense Language Institute and Defense Language Proficiency Test, which may satisfy the University’s language requirement for a B.A. degree.  DSST credit will be granted provided passing score is achieved, as set by the ACE guidelines.   Students may request evaluation of military credit by sending an official copy to the University’s designee with a Joint Service Transcript (JST). The transcript may be obtained through their homepage at https://jst.doded.mil.  Evaluation of military credit will be conducted at the point of acceptance. 

SACHEM Cross-Registration

UMass Dartmouth students may cross-register for courses at other SACHEM (Southeastern Association for Cooperation in Higher Education in Massachusetts) institutions on a space-available, prior-approval basis. Likewise, students at these other institutions may cross-register for courses at UMass Dartmouth. Institutions involved in the program, in addition to UMass Dartmouth, are:

  • Bridgewater State College
  • Bristol Community College
  • Cape Cod Community College
  • Dean College
  • Massachusetts Maritime Academy
  • Massasoit Community College
  • Stonehill College
  • Wheaton College

Tuition and fees established by the “away” institution are suspended, provided that the matriculated student is a degree-seeking student at the home institution and carries and pays for a full-time load there. Further information and appropriate forms may be obtained in the Registrar’s Office.