Jul 16, 2024  
2013-2014 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog 
2013-2014 UMass Dartmouth Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Admission to the University

Phone: 508.999.8605

Admissions criteria

UMass Dartmouth complies with the admissions standards established by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education. These standards take into account the program of study, level of course work taken, and standardized test results for each applicant. In addition, UMass Dartmouth may consider an applicant’s personal statement, placing value on experiences that develop qualities of leadership, responsibility, community service, and creativity.

Students are accepted into specific majors and programs of study by using both general standards to evaluate an applicant’s ability to do university work and specific standards for potential in major departments or programs.

Strong emphasis is placed on college prep courses taken, the level of those courses and the grades received.

Standardized test results

Applicants to UMass Dartmouth should request their SAT or ACT official results be sent to the Admissions Office. The UMass Dartmouth College Board code is 3786.

SAT and/or ACT scores recorded on an official high school transcript will also be accepted.

Although UMass Dartmouth does not require the College Board SAT II results, applicants may submit them. These tests, especially in the sciences, can be a valuable source of information.

Applicants who have been out of high school for more than three years, or who have earned at least 24 transferable college credits, are exempt from the SAT/ACT requirement.

If you have taken Advanced Placement (AP) courses, please request that your examination results be sent to UMass Dartmouth.  Course credit may be awarded for AP exams scoring a 3 or above.  Please see specific course equivalencies on the Registrar’s website at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

International applicants, specifically those whose first language is not English, are required to submit the official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless they have attended a school for at least one year in which the language of instruction is English. Official TOEFL results are required from the Educational Testing Service; scores of 520 and higher are expected. For the computer-based TOEFL, the minimum score is 190; and for the Internet-based score, it is 68. Official IELTS results are required; an overall band score of 6.0 and higher, with no subscore below 5.5, are expected. More information for international students is on this site and on the International Students web site. 

If you completed high school through the GED program, you must submit a copy of the GED certificate from the state.

Rolling admissions and priority deadlines

UMass Dartmouth practices rolling admissions, which means that we make our admissions decisions as soon as possible once we receive and review a completed application and required supporting materials. For priority consideration, all applicants are urged to apply by March 1 for fall admission.

Note: Some programs (such as nursing, biology, and psychology) are competitive, so applications for these majors are encouraged by February 1.

Application for spring admission (the semester beginning in January) should be made by December 1.

Admissions decisions cannot be made until all required information is on file. Admissions decisions are generally made within a few weeks after all application materials are received. A letter of decision will be sent as soon as the Admissions Committee completes its review. Applicants will be notified in writing if further information or credentials are required.

Applicants may check the status of their UMass Dartmouth admissions application through the Admissions website at www.umassd.edu/undergraduate. Applicants need their identification number and PIN sent in the application acknowledgment to access their application status.

Defining freshman and transfer applicants

Applicants who have earned or will earn secondary school or equivalency diplomas and who have never attended a degree-granting post-secondary educational institution (excluding dual credit) are considered for freshman admission.

Applicants who have attended degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions (including UMass Dartmouth as a special student or through the Division of Professional and Continuing Education) are considered for transfer admission.

Application fee waivers

If the application fee presents a financial hardship,  students may complete and submit the College Board application fee waiver form, with a high school counselor’s signature.

Deposits for enrollment and housing

Once accepted, applicants must inform the Admissions Office of their intent to enroll by paying an enrollment deposit of $200. The deposit should be sent as soon as possible and no later than May 1. This deposit reserves an applicant’s place in the major of his/her choice. 

Housing may be limited, so upon acceptance the housing deposit should be submitted as soon as possible and no later than May 1.

Both the enrollment and housing deposits are credited to the student’s first semester balance.

Computer requirements

Some majors in the College of Visual and Performing Arts and students in the Charlton College of Business have specific computer recommendations. More information can be accessed at: http://www1.umassd.edu/cits/laptop/

Social Security Number

The university will issue a special student identification number for use in campus transactions; the social security number will not be used in such transactions. It remains a requirement that all students must submit their social security numbers (except international students who lack them), as a federal requirement; this number is used for tax reporting and in some financial aid and hiring situations. The university is committed to protecting students’ privacy and their social security numbers.

Credit by Exam and Other Types of Credit

Applicants have opportunities for academic credit in addition to that provided by the transfer of credits from other institutions of higher learning.  Students may earn up to 30 credits through credit by exam.

AP examinations. Increasing numbers of students complete college-level studies while still in secondary school, through the Advanced Placement program of the College Board. We award advanced placement and/or college credit for AP examination scores of 3 or higher (with one exception: Psychology requires a 4 or 5) in most AP fields. Specific AP tests and corresponding UMass Dartmouth course equivalencies is available at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

International Baccalaureate (IB).  International Baccalaureate is similar to Advanced Placement in that specific courses taken through high school IB programs may be accepted for college credit.  Additional information is available at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

CLEP credit. The university has approved the use of the College Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP). This program uses test results to show that an individual has achieved college-level education in a certain academic field. We will award credit for CLEP Subject Examination scores of 50 or above, as reported on the CLEP score report. Some CLEP Subject Examinations may not receive credit, unless approved through the appropriate academic department. UMass Dartmouth does not give credit for CLEP General Examinations. Specific CLEP tests and corresponding UMass Dartmouth course equivalencies may be found at www.umassd.edu/registrar.

Military credits.  In accordance with the Valor Act, UMass Darmouth evaluates credits earned for military education and training using the same standards as those applied to coursework from accredited colleges and universities. All military transcripts are reviewed for transferability of credit to a student’s major.


Freshman Admission to the University


The credentials required for freshman admission consideration are:

  • Completed application
  • Official secondary school transcript including 16 units of college preparatory courses and grades:
  •      English: 4 units
  •      Social Sciences: 2 units, including 1 in United States history
  •      Mathematics: 3 units (Algebra I, II and Geometry)
  •      Foreign language: 2 units of the same language
  •      Sciences: 3 units (2 units must be laboratory sciences)
  •      Electives: 2 units in college preparatory courses
  • SAT I or ACT scores
  • An essay or personal statement on a topic of your choice
  • One letter of recommendation
  • Application fee ($40 for MA residents; $60 for out-of-state/international)
  • TOEFL or IELTS scores (only for international students)


Students who have taken Advanced Placement (AP) courses should request examination results be sent to UMass Dartmouth.

Students who have taken college courses through dual enrollment should still apply as a freshman.

Although College Board SAT II (subject test) results are not considered for admission purposes, applicants who have attended high school within the last three years may submit them. These tests, especially in the sciences, can be a valuable source of information for advisers.


Transfer Admission to the University


A transfer applicant is a high school graduate or GED recipient who has earned credits from an accredited college or university (including UMass Dartmouth as a special student or in the Division of Professional and Continuing Education).

Students transferring from another institution of higher education are welcome to apply to UMass Dartmouth for any semester.  While admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, we recommend a March 1 deadline for fall enrollment and December 1 for spring enrollment.

Due to the competitive nature of the Nursing program, UMass Dartmouth is no longer accepting transfer applications to the program until further notice.



The credentials required for transfer admission consideration are:

  • Completed application
  • Official transcripts of all previous college or university courses attempted and current courses in progress

  Application fee ($60 for MA residents; $65 for out-of-state/international) High school transcript (only if you have fewer than 24 completed credits) SAT/ACT scores (only if you have fewer than 24 completed credits) TOEFL or IELTS scores (only for international students) Visual Arts applicant (excluding Art History) submission of a portfolio Music applicants must complete an audition


Transfer applicants may be asked to provide photocopies of catalog pages from previously attended institutions with course descriptions or course syllabi for the work completed to assist in evaluating coursework for UMass Dartmouth equivalencies.

Upon matriculation to UMass Dartmouth, new transfer students may view their unofficial transcript and transfer work through COIN, once the student’s incoming term has been activated.


UMass Dartmouth helps transfer students benefit from receiving an Associate’s Degree in several ways:



This program provides students who receive their Associate’s Degree in a linked MassTransfer approved program from a Massachusetts community college, guaranteed admissions with a 2.5 GPA, no application fee, automatic satisfaction of all general education requirements except 2 upper-level courses, tution reduction of 33% with a cumulative GPA of 3.0, early registration with UMD juniors and 60 credits applied toward the bachelors degree.  To apply for admission through MassTransfer approved programs, please visit www.mass.ed/masstransfer

Joint Admissions

UMass Dartmouth maintains joint admissions agreements with the Community College of Rhode Island, Quincy College, Dean College and Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology.  With completeion of an Associate’s Degree, students can expect guaranteed enrollment to UMass Dartmouth with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.  The application fee is waived awhen using the Joint Admissions Intent to Enroll form, and students can register at the same time as UMD juniors. 

Articulation Agreements

UMass Dartmouth maintains degree specific articulation agreements with several colleges.  These agreements provide the guarantee of transfer credit from one instituion to another specific major area.  For a complete list of current agreements, please visit our Transfer Experience webpage at www.umassd.edu/transferexperience.


Transfer credit

The quality and quantity of academic work completed at previous higher education institutions determine the amount of transfer credit accepted at UMass Dartmouth and its applicability toward a bachelor’s degree. UMass Dartmouth reserves the right to re-evaluate the transferability of specific courses offered by other institutions, and to amend the course and/or program offerings without prior notice. The awarding of transfer credit for courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions prior to admission is determined by the Admissions Office and dean, or designee, of the appropriate college.

The university’s basic course and credit transfer policies are stated as follows. These policies apply unless a special articulation agreement or transfer program imposes different conditions approved for that program. Special conditions apply for Interchange Transfer students and students entering under Mass Transfer agreements.  Students who earn credit while studying abroad should refer to the Study Abroad section in the Special Learning Opportunities portion of this catalog for information about how that credit will be transferred to UMass Dartmouth.

Transferable credits are college/university-level credits taken at a regionally accredited institution with content equivlent to a course or appropriate to a curriculum offered at UMass Dartmouth.  Most vocational or non-college level courses (such as physical activity, trade education, remedial coursework, and high-school level courses) are not transferable.  Courses taken at institutions not holding regional accreditation will be evaluated independently and on a course-by-course basis. 

UMass Dartmouth will accept all transferable credits from both 2-year and 4-year institutions.  However, the number of credits that can be applied toward a bachelors degree varies depending upon the requirements of the degree major.  All UMD degrees require at least 120 credits.  In order to receive a bachelor’s degree from UMass Dartmouth, transfer students must complete the residency requirement of earning at least 45 credits of coursework at UMass Dartmouth.  As part of the 45 credit residency requirement, at least 30 of those credits completed at UMass Dartmouth must be advanced and specialized courses (UMass Dartmouth courses numbered 300 or higher).  Student may be granted permission by the appropriate chairperson and college dean to earn some of these credits at another institution if the UMass Dartmouth major and minor requirements are met to their satisfaction.

Only credits for courses in which “C-” or higher grades were received will transfer and appear on the UMass Dartmouth transcript, although all previous coursework is considered for admissions purposes. If a transfer course has been taken more than once at another institution, UMass Dartmouth will accept the best grade awarded to the student for that course.

Transferred credits and course titles will be recorded on the transcript without a grade designation; these courses will not be included in the grade point average earned at UMass Dartmouth. 

Transferred courses on the UMass Dartmouth transcript designated as “No Rule” may be transferable; however, these courses must be evaluated by the relevant academic departments to determine course equivalency. Once this process is complete, the transcript will be updated. Students may be asked to submit course descriptions and/or course syllabi from previous institutions to expedite this process.

All courses accepted for transfer credit will count as UMass Dartmouth credits; however, not all transfer credits may count toward the specific degree requirements. Some transfer credits may be counted only as free electives.

Other credits that may be applied to the degree include applicable transfer credits, advanced placement, and/or CLEP credits.

Permanent Interchange Transfer

To be eligible, the applicant must have completed at least 12 credits, be currently enrolled in 12 credits, have a minimum grade point average of 2.00, and be in good standing with the UMass system.

Interchange transfer applicants who have only attended a UMass campus must submit the UMass Dartmouth application form and have an official copy of their current UMass transcript sent; if they meet the eligibility criteria, no other documents are required. Students who have attended another college or university besides UMass must submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.

Part-time, continuing-education or non-degree “special students” at a UMass campus should contact the UMass Dartmouth Office of Admissions for specific instructions.

Temporary Interchange Transfer

Temporary interchange students from the other campuses may attend UMass Dartmouth for one or two semesters, applying UMass Dartmouth credits to the degree requirements of their home campus.

Before registering for courses, temporary interchange students should receive from their home campus all necessary approvals regarding the applicability of UMass Dartmouth courses to the degree requirements of their home campus. Temporary interchange students receiving financial aid work through the financial aid office at their home campus.

International Admission to the University


Students under F-1 Visa status or seeking F-1 Visa status should apply to UMass Dartmouth as either International Freshman or International Transfer, depending upon their circumstance. 

International applicants will pay the out-of-state application fee and are not eligible for waivers of this fee.  International applicants must submit their application fees in US currency.  Checks not in US currency will be returned and the application will not be processed until the fee has been resubmitted properly. 

International applicants must also meet the US government requirements for full time students in order to be issued the I-20 form for the F visa application.  They must satisfy the conditions for admission to the university and become full-time, degree-seeking students. 

In addition, international applicants whose native language is other than English must submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Internationl English Language Testing Service (IELTS), which are offered at regularly scheduled intervals throughout the world.  Foreign nationals who have completed a year or more of study in the United States or American or International institutions abroad, in which the primary language of instruction is English, are exempt from this requirement.

 Upon acceptance and for as long as they attend the university, they must pay out-of-state tuition.  International undergraduate students are not eligible to receive financial aid from the university.

International Exchange Students

UMass Dartmouth participates in formal and informal international student exchanges.  For further information contact the International Programs Office at intl_programs@umassd.edu or call 508.910.6506.  Once accepted, exchange students are issued the appropriate paperwork required for the J visa application by the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC).

Visit the International Programs Office web page for further information.

Permanent residents of the United States

Permanent residents who are not citizens of the United States should apply to UMass Dartmouth using the standard freshman or transfer application for admission. A copy of both sides of the immigration form I-551 (green card) must be filed with the application. Permanent residents are eligible to apply and be considered for need-based financial assistance.

Other Types of Admission to the University


Dual enrollment

Students interested in taking college courses at UMass Dartmouth through dual enrollment should inquire with their high school guidance office to see if their high school participates in our program.  Applications are available through the high school guidance office and are submittted to UMass Dartmouth through the staff who coordinates the program at the high school. On the application, please indicate the college-level courses you have completed or that are in progress.

Early entry

Secondary school students who have exhausted courses offered in high school may apply as early entry freshmen. Such candidates may be admitted on the basis of superior high school records and test scores. The application must also be supported with a written agreement that the high school approves the plan, and that a diploma will be granted upon satisfactory completion of one or two semesters of college work. Signatures of the school principal or headmaster, guidance counselor and parents are required.

Deferred admission

Students who have been accepted but find that they are unable to enroll in the semester originally intended may defer their admission for up to two semesters. The $200 enrollment deposit must be paid, and a letter requesting deferment should be sent to the Office of Admissions.

Previously accepted but did not enroll

Students who were previously accepted at UMass Dartmouth but did not attend must re-apply for admission, pay the application fee and submit official transcripts from all other colleges and/or universities attended since the time of original application to UMass Dartmouth.

Previously denied

UMass Dartmouth encourages applications from students who were denied admission but who have improved their academic records at other institutions. A new application must be submitted with the appropriate application fee and all supporting credentials. We keep applications on file for one year.

UMass Dartmouth students seeking re-admission

Students previously admitted to UMass Dartmouth/Southeastern Massachusetts University (day division) as degree candidates, and who registered for one or more semesters, may request re-admission by contacting the Registrar’s Office (508.999.8615).

Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree

Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree at UMass Dartmouth who wish to pursue a second baccalaureate degree here are invited to apply for readmission at the Registrar’s Office. Students with a degree from another institution should apply for transfer admission.

Non-degree students

When feasible, UMass Dartmouth allows qualified students who are not UMass Dartmouth degree candidates to register for courses as non-degree students. They may register only for courses for which they are qualified and in which space is available, and will be held to a strict limit in the total number of credits for which they may enroll as non-degree students. Specific regulations for non-degree students are given in the Academic Policies and Regulations section of this Catalogue.

An initial review of those seeking to register as undergraduate non-degree students is made in the Academic Advising Center. Applicants should be prepared to discuss their plans and to show appropriate records of prior schooling

Regional student admission and Proximity Program: reduced tuition program

The New England Regional Student Program enables residents of Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont who apply for academic programs not available in their own public colleges and universities to receive special consideration for admission and to pay significantly reduced tuition at this university (in-state tuition plus 50%). Secondary school guidance counselors and college transfer officers can provide details about this program, or one can contact the New England Board of Higher Education, Boston, MA 01984; phone 617.357.9620. The following table indicates UMass Dartmouth undergraduate programs that are available to New England residents at reduced tuition charges:


Eligible State Residents

Textile Chemistry










Textile Design


Visual Design


Art Education


Proximity Student Program

The Proximity Student Program is for students in any major whose permanent home address is in either Bristol or Newport counties in Rhode Island.

The New England Regional Student Program rates apply. For more information, contact the Admissions Office via email or phone (508.999.8605).

Students with Disabilities

Applicants are under no obligation to disclose a disability.  If, on the other hand, they choose to seek accommodations in their classrooms, they are encouraged to contact the Center for Access and Success at http://www.umassd.edu/dss or call 508.999.8711 to obtain eligibility requirements and to discover what services are available to students with documented disabilities.

Mid-Year Admissions

To the extent that space and fiscal resources permit, the university will admit qualified mid-year applicants. Special efforts will be made to ensure that spaces are available in appropriate spring semester classes for those admitted.

Graduate Admissions

Contact the Office of Graduate Studies or visit their website for information, program descriptions, and application materials. Phone 508.999.8604.

Additional Admissions Application Requirements for Specific Majors


The nature of some majors or curricula may make it desirable for additional information to be gathered systematically as a part of the application process so long as they do not contradict the admissions policies and procedures of the University. Four such requirements are currently in effect.

Multidisciplinary Studies

Applicants for admission to this individually-designed major must arrange a program of study with the program director before acceptance can be offered. This program is open to transfer applicants only.

Music Audition Requirement

Applicants for admission to the music major must audition, in person, in their principal applied area (either instrument or voice); the audition is a requirement for a completed application in music. Click here for information about the audition. Those who cannot audition in person must request permission to submit recordings.

Studio Art Portfolio

The faculty of the College of Visual and Performing Arts review applicants’ art portfolios as a part of the application process. Portfolio requirements for incoming freshmen and transfers are available on the College of Visual and Performing Arts website

Nursing, RN Track

Matriculation in this program requires a student to have a nursing associate’s degree or hospital diploma and a current Massachusetts RN license.